Request for Bids
The Town of Hardwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider.
Caretaker: Maintenance of Various Graves & Related Work
NOTE: For a printable version of this request, click here.
The Board of Selectmen is seeking bids for the maintenance of various graves and related work at the three (3) cemeteries in the Town of Hardwick, beginning July 1, 2017-June 30, 2018.
Bids will be accepted until April 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM. Bids may be mailed or hand delivered to the Board of Selectmen, Municipal Office Building, 307 Main Street, P.O. Box 575, Gilbertville, MA 01031
Scope of Services is attached. Hard copies are available at the Municipal Office Building.
The successful bidder will be a reputable qualified provider of theses services and will be insured for general liability and worker’s compensation.
The Town reserves the right to reject any and all quotes received and to waive informalities in any and all bids.
Kenan P. Young, Chairman
Board of Selectmen
Town of Hardwick
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The Bidder shall submit a quote for services for the cost of providing labor for maintenance and related work of the Hardwick Cemeteries (3) at the following locations:
- Old Cemetery: Hardwick Common, 32 Common Street
- New Cemetery: Rt. 32A Petersham Road
- West Hardwick: Collins Road
- The CARETAKER shall keep an accurate record of burials during the year.
- The CARETAKER shall be responsible for the opening and closing of a gravesite. If he/she is unable to fulfill the obligation, he/she shall be responsible for replacing themselves at said times. Said person shall be paid $240.00 for a full winter burial, $180.00 for a full summer burial, winter infant burial $180.00, summer infant burial $150.00. The TOWN will provide the backhoe for burials. Cremation shall be paid the same as a full infant burial for both adult and child.
- The CARETAKER shall install concrete footing for head stones, markers and foundations for monuments. Monument foundations shall be at least (2 ½’-3’) two and one-half to three feet deep, with a mixture of stone and concrete. All foundations will be at least to the specification of the supplier. The CARETAKER will be paid fifty dollars ($50.00) for each marker and foundation, and eighty dollars ($80.00) for a monument foundation.
- The CARETAKER shall run the water pump in the Upper Cemetery when needed, (after the danger of frost has passed) so that a supply of water is available during the summer months and to see that water lines are working. These lines must also be drained at the end of summer by November 1st.
- The CARETAKER shall supply all materials for foundations.
The CARETAKER shall provide a certificate of general liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000. In addition, the CARETAKER shall provide Worker’s Compensation Insurance, if otherwise required for his/her usual business by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (sole proprietors doing work for themselves are not required to carry worker’s compensation).
- The CARETAKER shall be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of new and existing grave sights.
- The CARETAKER shall hold a valid hydraulic operators license.
- The caretaker is responsible for removing flowers on grave sites one (1) week after interment.